Sunday, September 9, 2007

September 9th Stellar Seller---KnitAndPearl


KnitAndPearl, a.k.a. Kristen, is the treasurer of the Etsy Owls & winner of the Wedding Challenge, which part of her prize includes being featured as this week's stellar seller. Read her interview & check her out at http://knitandpearl.etsy.com/

Tell us all about you, as much or as little as you'd love to share with the Etsy world. :)

Well... I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago with my parents and two younger sisters. I was one of those kids who was involved with everything. From girl scouts to choir to basketball to figure skating to drama to rock 'n' roll drumming... I'm exhausted now... :) But I've always been interested in the arts. I love to create and share what I've created with others.I've met the love of my life and I married him in January of 2005. No babies yet... but hopefully soon! I've been managing a restaurant for almost 5 years now. It's the second love of my life. Most of the time I complain about it, but I wouldn't trade it for any other job in the world. I have an amazing staff who I am proud to consider my friends. Every day going to work is enjoyable for me. What's more enjoyable is coming home and sitting down to create a new necklace or knit up a scarf! I've been making jewelry for about 3 years and knitting for about 1 year. I also enjoy pulling out the Ol' Singer and seeing what turns out! Anything craft related - I've either tried or is next on my list to try. I am happiest when I'm putting the finishing touches on a project.

Let us hear all about your shop & how you got started...

I opened my shop at the beginning of July. I've been wanting to do this for a long time and a friend of mine told me about Etsy. I've been in love ever since.I've tried for years to come up with a good name for a shop. I've had several prototypes that I always felt embarrassed to say. As soon as knitandpearl came to me, I knew it was the one! (For those of you who don't know... a PURL is a backwards knit stitch. When you are making a "rib" stitch you knit 1 and purl 1) So that's where I am :) Hopefully, I will have a fruitful year on Etsy! SO far it's been GREAT!


What inspires you to create?

I am most inspired by wild color palettes. I like my jewelry to feel like a work of art. I like to use big bold colors in my knitting and crocheting. I make the best stuff when I'm listening to good music!

Describe yourself in 1 word: Abnormal


What's your favorite:

Book: Eke... I love books... OK it's a three-way tie between "The Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand, "A Prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving and "Haunted" by Chuck Palahniuk although, I'm sure more "favorites" will come later

Movie: "The Goonies" YES! BabyRuth!

Song: This is hard too because I love music... "The Entertainer" by Billy Joel, "I'm Waking Up to Us" by Belle and Sebastian and "Chance Dance" by Ulele (Check them out BTW - super cool)

2 comments:

J-Mi said...

Go Kristen! Congrats on winning the Wedding challenge! U rock!!!

Erin M. said...

whooo!!! Kristen rocks! :D